Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Blog #4

 3 Ideas To Ponder...

To effectively teach is to be aware of the way that the individuals in your classroom learn and then plan your lessons accordingly.

You must understand your own identity before you can teach others.

Literacy can be engaging when taught by connecting the student to being a writer and reader. Leave the learning to the students instead of telling them what to do and how to learn.


2 Comments That Inspire Me.....

"Teachers engage students with experiences so that they construct their own knowledge." (Tompkins, 2019, pg. 7)

Tompkins, G. E., Smith, C., Campbell, R., & Green, D. (2019). Literacy for the 21st Century: A balanced approach. Pearson Education Australia.

I chose this quote because there is significant importance in allowing their students to find their own path while learning. Too often children are losing interest in their own education because everyone tells them how to learn and what to learn instead of the children wanting to learn it for themselves. For a long time schooling has been competitive and test based and it has taken the joy from the children's learning experiences.

"This historical narrative sharply contrasts with what I see in schools today." (Muhammad, 2020, pg.37)

Muhammad, G. (2020). Cultivating genius: An equity framework for culturally and historically responsive literacy. Scholastic. 

I chose this quote because it really resonated with my experience as a student and as an educator. While I was in school personal histories and identity was not very prominent but it was talked about occasionally. However, as I have worked in areas of education recently I have been seeing small shifts of inclusion of subjects such as religion but not necessarily what Muhammad talks about in her book. This inspires me to help be the change to help create a learning environment that sparks something within our students that makes them confident, want to learn, get excited about who they are and who their peers are.


1 Commitment I want To Make For My Future Students....

A commitment I want to make to my future students is that I will put them first; pay attention to each students as people and to include individual culture and views into our classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Kaya Lani, how do you see the ideas and the quotes you included at the start of this entry as helping you to be better prepared as a literacy teacher? You offer some interesting commentary on schooling in general, but remember you want to keep your focus on *you* and how you re-see your own responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twice in this posted you've referenced the significance of teaching "each" learner or meeting the actual individuals in each class where they are at. I love how you innately get the significance of a learners need to feel seen. I think as you layer strategies and principles on top of this fundamental understanding, you will build yourself into a really exceptionally prepared teacher and support system :)

    ReplyDelete

Entry #11

Before being in LTED 601 I believed that I understood literacy. I thought I knew what it was, what it meant to be literate, and what it took...